Tomato and Apple Chutney2016-02-29
This Tomato and Apple Chutney was my Mum’s favourite chutney and she was a Queen of the Chutney makers!
- 1.5lbs (675g) chopped/skinned tomatoes
- 1.5lbs (675g) peeled and chopped apples
- 1lb (450g) chopped onions
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 12oz (335g) sugar
- 1 tsp pickling spice (in a bag)
- 1/2pt (300ml) vinegar (maybe a bit more)
- 4oz (110g) dried fruit (raisins/sultanas/whatever you have to hand!)
Cook onion in some of the vinegar until soft.
Add chopped apple and tomato, salt, ground ginger and dried fruit along with a bit more of the vinegar.
Cook until soft and then add rest of vinegar and stir in the sugar.
Boil until thick. You should be able to draw a line across the top of the mixture with a wooden spoon and still be able to see it when you lift the spoon up.
Bottle in sterilised jars and leave for at least 3 weeks before using.