- Yield : 5 Pints
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:20 h
This is a superb flavoursome vegetable stock. One of the best I know. Great for soups or gravy and of course totally vegetarian!
- 3 Large onions roughly chopped
- 5 Carrots roughly chopped
- 3 Leeks roughly chopped
- 3 Sticks celery roughly chopped
- 8 White cabbage leaves roughly chopped
- 1 Romaine lettuce roughly chopped
- 6 Sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 Sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 Bayleaf
- 6 Pints water
Place all the ingredients in a stockpot. Cover and bring to the boil. *NOTE* never add salt to any stock, only add salt when you are using it.
Reduce the heat and simmer very gently with the lid ajar for one hour, no more. *IMPORTANT* Do not stir the stock or it will be very cloudy.
Strain the stock and allow it to cool. It can then be used or frozen.